Saturday 4 February 2012

Progress Report

Well, I'm a few days in to my "knitting" project.  I've used quotation marks because I'm using a loom rather than needles which makes it pretty fool proof.  But skeptic that I am, I'm still surprised it's turned out well so far.  I tried following the directions that came with the loom, but had to undo the hot mess that was produced.  Thanks to an instructional vid or two on YouTube, it's been smooth sailing since.  I'm maybe a quarter to a third of the way through my scarf (numbers aren't my thing, which could make learning to knit for real a challenge) and I know my ball of yarn isn't going to last.  So my next challenge will be finding a video that will tell me how to attach a new ball of yarn.  I'm sure there's some fancy term for that, like casting on or purl knit, but I know not what to call it other than attaching a new ball of yarn.
For your viewing pleasure.
I've been contemplating actual lessons at River City Yarns here in Edmonton so that I can learn how to knit and crochet properly and make cute things like this:
I first saw these adorable little toys on The Busy Budgeting Mama's site, and she says they're easy.  If you take a look at her site, you'll see she's a whiz with all things crafty and technology related, so her version of easy may not match up with mine, but I'm willing to try.  Not only that, but the pattern was free!  You can find lots of other free patterns on the Lion Brand Yarn website.
What says James of my new interest?  I asked him if he thought taking up knitting was hip or nerdy.  His reply?  "Hip if you need to have your food pureéd!"
Have a fabulous weekend!
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment