Sunday 29 January 2012

Sluggish Sunday

Sorry guys, no fashion show today.  I'm feeling too lazy to get dressed and take pictures.  I will do so soon though, for reals.  Just not today.  So, what will I entertain you with instead?  What I'm making for dinner, of course.  I feel obligated to make dinner, and obligated to post, so why not put the two together?  Une solution parfait!
On the menu: Turkey meatball soup.  Jimmy's favourite soup.  This is a recipe adapted from Deceptively Delicious, a cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld geared towards getting children to eat vegetables, combined with my own recipe for tomato soup.  Why do I own a cookbook based on hiding vegetables from children, you ask?  Because my taste in food can be quite child-like, and I hate most cooked vegetables.  This book seemed like the perfect compromise.  The base of Jessica's soup however (just blended tomatoes and carrots?  Where are the herbs??), was too bland for even my tastes, so I had to adapt that part of the recipe. The results can be found below!
Turkey Meatball Soup
Inspired by Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld
Serves 4
For the meatballs:
1 lb ground turkey breast
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 sweet potato pureé
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Inspired photography, I know.

For the soup:
1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, whole or diced
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Small pasta shapes such as macaroni or shells

1.  Combine all meatball ingredients in a medium bowl.  Mash together with your hands, then roll into bite sized meatballs.  At this point you can either put them in the oven to brown at 425 for 8 minutes, or set aside to be cooked in the soup.  I think it's weird to cook raw meat in soup, so I opt to brown them first.  Jessica throws them straight into the soup, and maybe when I have three kids like she does, I will too.
Pic as promised.
2.  Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion, and carrots, stirring often for 4-5 minutes.  Next add the garlic and herbs, stirring for another 2-3 minutes, or until all vegetables have softened and browned slightly.
3.  Add the tomatoes, stock, and salt and pepper to the pot.  If you do not have child-like taste in food, you can simmer for 20 minutes, adding in the meatballs to be cooked through.  If you do have child-like taste in food, you can pureé all of the ingredients for the soup in a blender before returning them to the pot and adding the meatballs to be cooked through.
4.  Meanwhile, cook your pasta until al denté, about 2 minutes less than the time recommended on the package.  Add pasta to the soup pot for a final 2 minutes of cooking time.  Serve with grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
A perfect wintry dinner for a lazy Sunday!  No pic of the finished product yet, as I must go and make it now, but I'll add one, and you can bet it will be breathtaking.  I just had to get this post published, as I'm sure you've been waiting with bated breath, and I always aim to please.
Also, for your viewing pleasure, the cutest video message sent to Jimmy by some of our nieces and nephew before his team played the Washington Stealth last night:
"I want you to take it to the Stealth! Take it to the stealth!"
There was also a follow up message after a big Rush win (and a goal for Uncle Jimmy), but due to technical difficulties, there is no sound, so I'll sum it up for you.  Says our nephew of five years: 
"Uncle Jimmy, I asked you to take it to the Stealth, and you took it to the Stealth.  So thank you for taking it to the Stealth."
Impossibly cute, no?
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment