Monday 5 March 2012

Look What I Found!

Isn't this sweet?
What made it even sweeter was the $1.94 price tag and the fact that it was the last one on the Joe Fresh clearance rack.  I'm starting to shop more for little bits and pieces for the peanut, and am in a state of utter shock and disbelief at the very limited number of gender neutral items available.  Does everyone find out the gender of the tenant in their womb nowadays, thereby eliminating the high demand for sleepers in cream and yellow?  It sure seems like it.  My mother (if you'll recall she's art director and fashion editor here at Chez Quinlan) is incredibly frustrated.  
The other day she was thwarted in her efforts to find a suitable homecoming outfit for bébé Q and literally threw her hands up in exasperation.  She has resigned herself to rushing out of the hospital minutes after the announcement of Q's gender (she says newborns aren't much to look at so soon after their birth anyway) to return with a fashion forward and gender appropriate outfit just in time for the little one to have pinked up.  
In other, totally unrelated news, Jimmy and I enjoyed a lovely weekend as he had time off from his other job.  We went to a newish restaurant called Soda Jerks. Jimmy had a giant, build your own burger which included root beer barbecue sauce, chipotle aioli, and roasted red peppers.
I chose a sourdough grilled cheese, and seeing as I can't partake in any alcoholic beverages, I was very excited about all the fancy pop choices.  In a nod to my youth, I chose a Pop Shoppe lime rickey.  Mmmm, it tasted just like 1988.  It was so retro, it actually made the picture blurry, almost like a time warp.  All of a sudden I was hearing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme song in my head . . . Anyways, the food was very good, as was the service.  I'll definitely be going back to sample more exotic soda flavours.
Bien sûr, with all of this bonding time there were many gems from James to be mined.  My doting husband asked, "Do you ever wish you could just have a glass of wine?"
Me: "Yes, yes, I really do."
He: "Me too, because I can't really open a bottle by myself."
I'm always amazed that his empathy for my current condition knows no bounds. That's all I can share for now.  I don't want to be blamed for making your life partner look bad in comparison to mine.
Ciao,
Shelby

2 comments:

  1. Saw a link to your blog on Twitter awhile back, very interesting, my son loves the pics of Jimmy as a teen! The non-gender specific problem extends beyond baby clothes - toys are now either pink or blue - teething rings either girly lipstick, purse and necklace shaped, or tool shaped for boys. It is crazy! Never really noticed it until I went to see Peggy Orenstein at teachers convention this year. Very interesting the way toys and marketing to kids has changed, especially for girls. Half way through her book "Cinderella Ate my Daughter". She is a journalist who seems to have done her research. Good read, not a painful at all, her voice and humility as a parent comes through in her writing. Can send it to you through Jimmy (via my son) if you are interested. Jen W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you! The book sounds great - definitely an interesting topic. If you're willing to share I'd love to read it!

      Delete