Wednesday 11 April 2012

I Pity the Fool

I mentioned yesterday that I tricked Jimmy on April 1st.  It wasn't my idea, but my sister-in-law's.  I had doubts, to be sure.  Let's face it, I'm not an Oscar nominated actress.  I've never even gotten a nod from the Razzies.  And I thought it was a little mean.  So what made me change my mind?  It was on April Fools' Eve when someone was looking for me and James said, "She's just over there.  The one with the huge belly.  You can't miss her!"  And with those words, his fate was sealed.
So, early on April Fools' morn, when Jimmy climbed out of bed and made his way to the bathroom, I sprang into action.  I went into the other bathroom and with some strategic water splashing, achieved the look of a woman whose water had broken.  I called Jimmy once.  "What?" came the call back.  I called once again, a little more urgently, and started making my way towards him.  "What's wrong?" was the call back this time.  We met half way, and I told him I thought my water had broken.  
"How do you know?" was my husband's first question, a stunned look on his face.  I had to call on all of my dramatic skill to stay in the moment and not laugh.  
"Well, I don't think I peed my pants!" I replied.
I have to commend James.  He stayed calm and did his best to be supportive.  He told me everything would be okay, and that I was okay.  I think he needed a moment to collect himself, as the next thing he asked was: "What does your book say?" 
I know he knows what my book says.  He has a good head for numbers, and he can recite all the stats we learned in our prenatal class.  He could tell you that as long as the contractions aren't coming close enough together that birth is imminent or you're in unmanageable pain, you have about 12 hours after your water breaks before infection becomes a concern and you need to get to the hospital.  But I had caught him off guard.  You see, he may have been out the night before, and he may have enjoyed a beverage with friends.  So, I turned to go get my book to answer his question, even though I knew the answer, while he tried to get his bearings.  Upon looking in the book, I turned to him and said, "The book says Happy April Fools' Day!"
He looked relieved, then slightly annoyed and said, "That was mean!"  When I hugged him, I noticed he was slightly sweaty.  He forgave me, of course, but said it was an unfair trick because he wasn't totally clear headed so early in the morning.
The fact that we woke up to a beautiful spring snowstorm didn't help his nerves either!  He told me later he had visions of us stuck in traffic, trying to endure contractions in the car while traffic stood at a standstill.  
All in all though, I think the trick was a good thing.  I feel totally reassured that Jimmy will be a calm and supportive coach when the birth day does arrive, and Jimmy has realized it really could happen at any moment, and that it will be a lot easier without any residual beverages in his system.  Will that hold him back?  Only time will tell!
Awkward self portrait #1
And #2
Only 3.5 more weeks to go!
Shelby

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Great April Fool's joke! Not tempted to try it out on a few other family members?

    ReplyDelete