Monday 9 April 2012

Adventures in Babysitting

Today I put in what I'm hoping will be my last baby sitting shift before the bébé arrives.  With so many nieces and nephews, you might wonder how I can be sure I won't be called to the front lines again.  Thankfully after a long winter away, my mother-in-law is set to return this Thursday and will resume her regular child minding duties.
And as far as last shifts go, this one did not disappoint.  Highlights included wiping a very stinky and very sticky poop out of the training potty, a four year old and several bottles of brightly coloured nail polish, and a 36.5 week pregnant woman dropping it like it's hot in order to wipe up a "small" pee accident from the floor.  
Before all of this, the day started off quietly enough with a little baking project. Remember when I almost poisoned my nephew who is allergic to eggs?  Today I vowed to make up for that little blunder with some egg free baking.  Not only is the recipe egg free, it's also gluten, sugar, and butter free.  And it doesn't taste like cardboard, either!  
The original recipe comes from 101 Cookbooks, and I changed it only slightly.  The genuine article calls for 1/3 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut, but I care not for the texture nor flavour of coconut, so I left it out.  I've made the recipe twice now, and I have one tip.  As there is no sweetener in this recipe aside from that long, yellow fruit from the tropics, be sure your bananas are venerably ripe to impart a hint of sweetness.
Banana Oatmeal Cookies
Inspired by 101 Cookbooks
Ingredients
3 large, ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed until just melted
2 cups rolled oats
2/3 cup almond meal
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl whisk together oats, almond meal, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.  In a separate bowl combine bananas, vanilla and coconut oil.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined.  Fold in the chocolate chips.  The dough is a bit looser than a traditional cookie dough, so don't be alarmed.
3. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a baking sheet.  Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the bottoms are golden.  Makes about 3 dozen bite sized cookies.
And to finish the day off, my six year old nephew is hosting his second annual NHL playoff draft.  Last year I came in dead last.  I can't say why, as I have a bullet proof strategy.  I pick players who have names that sound cool.  I'll let you know how it goes this year.  I'm hoping for stellar results.  
Shelby

1 comment:

  1. What do the cookies taste like? Banana flavoured cardboard?? What is almond meal? Prechewed almonds? Who would want to eat those cookies? Those poor children - it is your last babysitting shift for more reasons than you know. But your hockey draft strategy is airtight, playoffs are just so unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete